Monday 14 May 2012

Those who cannot sleep, blog

I've been dealing with a rather intense bout of PMS related insomnia this week so here I am, at 1:24am on a Sunday night, unable to sleep and so blogging.  You lucky devils!  I've got a lot to say so I'm going to try to divvy this up as best I can.

Food!  Mostly homemade because I'm poor as balls.  Well, not THAT poor, but trying to save money.  So I gotta make it fancy at home!  And if not fancy, super tasty.

Bacon and eggs with gouda, whole grain toast with butter.  And apple juice in a tacky plastic wine goblet, which you cannot see.




Cheddar and jalapeno wraps with rice, cheddar, peppers, and chicken breast.

The best way EVER to do scrambled eggs - sautee garlic and onions, add eggs and cook SLOWLY and add smoked edam.  You will never go back.

A masterpiece, if I do say so myself - fusilli tossed with olive oil, garlic, cherry tomatoes, spinach, asiago cheese and parmesan.  To. Die. For.  You can also add ground turkey, which I did here.


Wicked sangria - I didn't make it but it was home made and delicious so why not add a here.  White wine, white sugar, ginger ale, plenty of citrus fruit.  Stir and guzzle.  I know I did.


I've also gone out to eat a few times, thanks to my mother's crazy need to spoil her kids rotten.  Last week Stephen, my brother, came down to Victoria to shop for a Mother's Day gift for her and take me up island and she gave him her credit card. 

Stephen, bewildered at my constant Instagram-ing, pre dinner.

We opted for a quick meal at Boston Pizza and I was rather pleasantly surprised.  I had a seven cheese ravioli because, SEVEN KINDS OF CHEESE? and it was really, really good.

Freakin' dreamy.

Service was fantastic, too.  The waitress even had the good grace to laugh at my stupid jokes, so ten more points there.  If you want something quick and tasty, Boston Pizza on Hillside at Blanshard in Victoria is pretty damn great.

I spent my weekend in Duncan last week after the above delish dinner.  It's so nice to go home and just unwind.  I took a lot of baths (my parents' main tub isn't anything flashy but it's deep and wide and I love it), did some work for my dad in his clinic, and hung out with mama.  Bliss.

Knee in the tub.  This was the bath where I mistook a bubble bar for a bath bomb.  A rather decadent bit of bathing, and it turned the water blood red.  Creepy!

My mother, as I said above, likes to spoil Stephen and I like crazy.  She doesn't think she does, but oh lord it's true.  Every time I go up there she's giving me money and buying my groceries and buying me things I say in passing that I like.  Add that to the fact that she's the best mother in the world and the best WOMAN in the world and that makes for a very lucky Kolina.

We were just browsing at Winners and I said these pants were cute.  Next thing I know they're on my spoiled little heiny.  Very Dr Seuss, non?

Mama walks with my aunt three times a week, and on Tuesday I went with her and hung out with my uncle while the ladies traversed outside.  He bought this old beat up chest set, intending to give it to the neighbour kids at Christmas because they're wild about the game, but it was really busted so I helped him glue it all back together.  I'm really good with some super glue and a Q-Tip, in case you were wondering.

I also picked up a copy of Stephen's UBC grad photo while I was there - little charmer kept his Movember 'stache for the pics.  
 
Over the last week the weather has gotten increasingly gorgeous in Victoria (THANK CHRIST).  I was very, very tired of rain so it's been a welcome change.  And what does sunshine and warm weather mean?

Why, outside guitar playing with Joshua, of course!  Such fun :)





Sunny courtyard at work.

Last week I also went to the graduation recital of one of my favourite VCM students.  This picture is crap but you get the idea.

Here, have another slightly crap picture - this time of the SUPER MOON we had last week.  Beyond cool.

Today was Mother's Day.  Mum, dad, and Stephen came down to Victoria this evening and we went out for dinner at the Flying Otter Grill.  Afterward we went to Fisherman's Wharf for ice cream and wandering in the sunshine.

 
Ladies and gentlemen, behold the World's Greatest Mum.  She inspires me every day with her intelligence, optimism, and capacity to love.  I adore you, mama.



 Late afternoon sunshine on the pier after dinner.

Oh, brother of mine.

 Bill, the seagull.  I promised Stephen $100 if he could grab him and hold on for five seconds, but alas, Bill flew away.

I tried to make friends with this kitty at Fisherman's Wharf.  Clearly she was having none of it.

I saw a harbour seal for a few minutes but as soon as I tried to take his picture, bloop! he was gone.

And because I'm nothing if not vain...

Always with the headphones.

 I was so excited to be in a windowless office on a sunny, 25 degree day, oh yes.

I actually wore some semblance of noticeable makeup on Friday.



Just one more day of work and then it's weekend time again!  And hmmmm, that work day starts in just six hours.  I should probably go to sleep, huh?  

Up next - a review of Red Fish, Blue Fish (if I get there this week like I want to...).  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment